Thursday, January 1, 2015

Meeting new friends

Today we are excited for a new adventure!  A few weeks back, I was researching how to build a mud house and a clay oven on YouTube and a found a cool video of a family from the US living in Kenya.  When I looked at the date, it was only a few weeks old and I was excited that maybe this family was still here, so then I dug further and found that this family lived in Nakuru too!  So, I contacted them, and a few hours later the husband, Johnny, emailed me back.  The next day we met in town for lunch and Jodie, Marquite, and I had a great time meeting them and learning from them.  Today, they invited us over to their land, which they call "the shire" near Lake Elementaita (on the other side of Nakuru).

It is so much fun to watch Jodie, as she is so excited to visit this family.  She thinks very highly of them, especially Kate, the mom.  They moved their three kids here about 10 years ago and have since had two more, and have raised 9 Kenyan girls whom are all teenagers.  In addition, their friend, Ali, also helps Kenyan youths by caring for Kenyan boys.  I think there are 7 of them.  This family has been so generous with their time and talent and we are excited to visit them today, build friendships, and learn from them.

Today I am excited to learn from a family that has spent the last ten years in Kenyan working together as a family to help others.  I am excited to see their house, their mud oven, and their family.  Stay tuned for more!

No comments:

Post a Comment