Tuesday, December 30, 2014

The End and The Beginning

So I awoke early on this last day of 2014, for good reason I guess.

The final day of the year brings us to reflect and this has been quite the year for my family and I.
Ben and I before the sunrise and before our friend Sammy arrives
I am now sitting by the fire with my two friends and International Village security guards Sammy and Ben.  It is a very chilly 48 degrees so we are sitting by the fire and as I type, I am thankful for my typing teacher Mrs Mosser because I am typing as I watch the sun rise over the Lake Nakuru hills....... still rising, about halfway and it is beautiful...and there, it has totally risen, starting our day.  Ben asks if this is the same sun that we see in America and I tell him it is, he then asks, has anyone on Facebook walked all the way to the end of the earth and seen what is there?  I tell him, that the earth is round and that there isn't an end...to the earth that is.

There are ends to many things and today is the end of a calendar year, the year we will remember as 2014.  This was a year that I made a major career change and then a few months later made another major life change.  We have moved two times, while still owning our own house, and will move again in a week or two.  I often do not know the time, day of the week, or date on the calendar when I wake, go through my day, or lay to sleep.  We do not depend on a paycheck and instead depend more on each other, a lot on our team here at the IV, on our friends abroad, and mostly on our God.  Each day we have a devotion together as a family of 8 and eat at least two meals together.  A lot has changed in 2014 and much of it is for the better.

I will remember 2014 as a year of courage and of love.  Where our family used our courage to follow our dreams and our friends and family supported us with love beyond measure.  I will also remember 2014 as a year in which I stopped depending on myself, my education, my experience, and my skills and returned to depending on my Lord and His calling for my life.

Moving forward to 2015 my focus will be my Faith, my Family, and my Friends.  I want to inspire my children and support them to change the world in their own way over the coming months.  I have seen Marquite take leadership, grow in her confidence, and develop new relationships.  I have seen Natalie's heart for others, pride in her work, and leadership in projects.  I have seen Phillip's creativity with Legos, imagination in play, and desire to be physically active.  I pray that the Lord will lead each of these children to find a calling and pursue it over the next few months and that each of their activities would allow me to assist and support them in learning and success.  I have seen Jodie's smile and strong desire to connect with other women, I have seen her heart for animals, and for the young children outside of our gate.  I pray that the Lord will lead her to continue loving people and animals and that I would be able to learn alongside of her to help her in anyway I can.  I pray that the Lord leads me closer to Him, closer to my friends and family, and closer to the calling He desires for me.  I pray that 2015 does not answer the questions of life, but instead provides deeper questions.
My family and I with my friend Agnes at Thomson Falls
My final prayer is for you, my friends and family reading this blog, following on Facebook, and reading the periodic email updates.  I pray that 2015 is a year that brings you to the dreams you have yearned for, provides you with experiences that will shape your thoughts and values for each of the remaining days of your life, and support you with deeper love from family and friends that you have ever received before.  I also pray, that I can be a better friend and family member to you and love and support you in all that you desire.

While we may not be able to toast at midnight tonight, but know that when I say "Cheers" here, you are all in my heart and mind.  Thanks for being a part of 2014 and thanks for your continued love in 2015!

"Speak, and say the words that no one else will ever say.
Love, love like the world we know is over in a day.
I'm gonna show you love in every language.
I'm gonna speak the words that need no form.
I'm going to give you what you've never had before."

-"Show You Love" by Jars of Clay

1 comment: