Thursday, February 19, 2015

A New Normal, What is Normal?

A new normal? What is your normal?

I woke up this morning and it hit me that normal has changed. My old normal is a thing of the past and I have adapted to and accepted a new normal. Then, I started looking at the normal of some of my friends here and comparing it to the normal of my friends at home. 

Normal, is an interesting concept; it really defines how you see the world, where you place your effort, and what you value. When your normal changes: what you see and what you value also changes.

The challenge with changing a person's normal, is that in order to do so, that person must depart from their normal for a significant period of time and doing so means that they may not be as comfortable as they usually are...but slowly their comfort will again increase as their old normal fades away and their new normal is established.

If normal defines how a person sees a world and what they value and people have different normals, then what people see and value will be different. Because how people see the world and what they value is at the core of human existence, it is very important to them, some might say the most important things, and most people at their core are willing to give everything and/or die for their most important things. Therefore, when people's normal is different and how they see the world and what they value is different, there is conflict. And sometimes this conflict is very, very serious.

While different views are not bad and even conflict at times is not bad, a more understanding view of people's normals would be beneficial to everyone. I know it has been beneficial to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment